Wednesday, March 5, 2014






    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

    Happy Fat Tuesday, friends! I wish I could say that this day of celebration is an opulent detour from my normal diet, but to lie is to sin. I kind of feel bad about it, but not really. The French themselves love to moderately indulge in food day to day. Throw in a lil Cajun fierceness and you have a holiday that justifies at least a few of the seven deadly sins. I think I'm also stuck on the sin express because, of course, Mardi Gras is the last day before the Lenten season begins. Time to eat all the glorious nomnomz before you give them up. For this reason, and the day's namesake, I thought it would be fitting to make up some beignets.

Mardi Gras Beignets

I love working with dough. It somehow makes the idea of eating a doughnut that much less tragic. To make this dough, start by adding the sugar and the yeast to the warm (110-120F) water that has been placed in a large bowl. Let stand for ten minutes. Add the milk, melted butter, and egg to the equation. I added vanilla paste. Livin my life. 



Add half the flour and the salt and mix until combined. Add the rest of the flour and form the dough into a loose ball. Transfer to a floured work surface and knead for 2-4 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with a wet towel, and allow the dough to proof for 1-2 hours in a warm place. I wrap my dough in a blanket because I'm shooting for mom of the year.



After the dough has proofed, turn it out and roll it into a flat log. Cut squares out of the log and set aside. Heat vegetable oil to 350F and fry those suckers up for 2-4 minutes, or until golden. Place the lil bricks of joy on a paper towel to drain and sift powdered sugar on shortly after. Enjoy with some chicory coffee or beads. No foul, no judgement. 

SPEAKING OF DOUGHNUTS...I  went to Portland this weekend and got some wicked good doughnuts from the Holy Donut and am not sure how I'm alive now. My sister and I shared a maple glazed doughnut and we also bought a dark chocolate sea salt doughnut...but we left it at the place we got brunch. Lost dreams. 

Recipe
Adapted from "Jo Cooks..."
350F 2-4 minutes
1/2 envelope yeast
1/4 c sugar
3/4 c warm water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla paste
1 egg
1/2 milk
3 1/2 c flour
powdered sugar for sprinkling 
oil for frying

No comments:

Post a Comment