Tuesday, October 7, 2014






  "So I was lost, go count the cost, before you go to the Holland road."

     Sometimes life gets in the way of blog posts, and by life, I mean being deported to work on fishing boats in the middle of the Wadden Sea. Real talk. It's been a fairly busy few weeks, filled with off-shore adventures, movie-making, and a very special confirmation. To start, why don't we take a look at some of the pictorial evidence of my adventures?

Wadden Sea, Texel Island, Amsterdam

     Our latest jaunt was to the Netherlands for an introduction into Dutch living. As an aside, everyone thought I was Dutch and proceeded to speak to me in a bouncy language I only kind of comprehend (thanks, Frau Weston!). The journey began with a stay on a fishing boat filled with pirates, debauchery, and only one working bathroom. Just kidding, we were too tired for any debauchery. We then proceeded to the island, which was filled with producers and consumers promoting slow living. Lastly, Amsterdam offered an interesting view into a metropolitan city that is still very concerned about sustainability and their food future. 

(Low-tide living) 

(Vegetation from a saline farm)

(The Black Bees of Texel)

(Carrots from the garden of our B&B host, Anne)

(Mushrooms grown from compacted sawdust)

(House boats)

(Pickled Herring...distinct)

(Holland really loves anything pickled...)

(but also sweets, like these lil pancakes...)

(and fatty, like these organic fries)

(Incredible bread to start the meal...)

(Which was then featured again in this tomato and bread salad)

(Followed by a fantastic piece of marine delight)

(Almond, vanilla? Hard to say, too full)

(Saying goodbye)

     Many of these pictures, as well as filmed interviews, we made into a film that was evaluated today. Let's just say my spicy sesame noodles made for the day's picnic were more exciting than the finished project...given a month,we could have won ALL the awards. 

     As mentioned above, I received some news last week, confirming my stage in Scotland for the winter. I am super excited to get to spend some time in the UK and have the opportunity to work with such an impressive magazine. If anyone has any tips on fun things to do in Edinburgh, let me know!

    I promise that my next post will have a recipe; I have been creating plenty in the last month and also received a new postcard with which I will hopefully turn out something wonderful for...

     Until then, my dears, enjoy this fine, fall weather :)

     ***ALL photo credit goes to Min Jeon Kim, as my phone got carelessly drunk on the fishing boat and fell into the sea...partially true.***


No comments:

Post a Comment