Monday, November 17, 2014






     Giovanni Apple Seed

     Gossip Girl style confessional: I have only had one mildly good apple here in Italy. That is to say, there ain't any fine eatin apples in this place. Sure, there are plenty of baked things I could make with these specimens, but if you recall from an apple post about a year ago, I really prefer raw apples. I guess that means I will no longer try to be healthy and eat an apple a day; instead, I'm going to bake apple goodies everyday and probably fall into a fructose-induced coma. I'M SORRY, MOM, I'm meek of mind and heart, I was never meant for this world! I thought it best to start out slow with this hybrid recipe. I can't get too crazy, seeing as our Thanksgiving in Piemonte is this Thursday! Wish me luck in educating my little corner of the world on why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.

Persimmon Applesauce


To be honest, this post was also a vehicle  for testing out some photos. I'm really trying to improve on this aspect of blogging, though I do not profess to truly enjoy or thrive at food photography. Would interpretive dance be more clear? Maybe? 


Mmmmm, back lighting only possible during school hours...wait...


So natural! 

     This recipe, if you can even call it that, is as simple as they come. Peel, core, and dice your apples. I went with a mix to balance sweet and tart flavors. Next, peel and dice your ripe persimmons. They should be fairly soft. I also removed the slightly fibrous middle because I clearly don't care about food waste. Add both the persimmon and apple cubes to a pot, cover with water, sprinkle in the sugar, and let the lot simmer for an hour. I included two cloves and some cardamom, but you could use any warm spices you like. A pinch of salt at the end really lifts all of the fruity goodness. Lastly, you can leave the mixture chunky or smooth, but I was feeling smooth that day. If you're like me, make sure to remove your whole spices before blending. There you have it, go forth and eat your baby food in supreme, autumnal happiness. 

Recipe
5 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced 
2 persimmons, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp ground cardamom 
2 whole cloves 
1/4 c of sugar
pinch of salt
water to cover

PS- If your fruit still needs to cook a bit but the water has evaporated, add a bit more until you reach the promised land. 



No comments:

Post a Comment