Friday, July 24, 2015






     "We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience." -George Washington

      What an inspiration to us all. George goes and cuts down a cherry tree in youthful exuberance, and instead of getting scolded by his father, he gets a pat on the back for being honest about the event. Now, when we went to go pick cherries a few weeks ago, we also ate a lot of plums. I thought about being like George and owning up, but decided if no one saw me do it, it might have not even happened. Only the cherries and I know what savagery occurred in the plum grove that day.The cherries did make it home safely, for they had a higher calling. I didn't get enough for a pie, but decided I could make a good amount of jam from these sour gems. Like eating pie every morning.

Sour Cherry Jam



This jam is fairly simple to make, except pitting the fruit can be a pain. You have three options when working with fresh fruit:

  1. You can buy a pitter and pit those babies all summer long.
  2. You can use a knife to remove the pits, but you might want to kill yourself in the end. 
  3. You can leave the pits in and strain at the end, which is what I did, because I'm lazy.
So all the you have to do is cook down the cherries for about half an hour over medium heat with about a cup of water and half a cup of sugar. At this point you will strain the pits out if you need to, then blend the fruit and return the mixture to the stove. Now add a small pinch of salt and reduce until the jam has thickened. Take the mixture off the heat, add vanilla, and let cool completely. I just put my jam into a clean canning jar and keep it in the fridge; I'm sure you can actually can this goodness, but ain't nobody got time for that. 

Recipe
1 qt sour cherries
1/2 c sugar
1 c water
1 tsp vanilla 
small pinch salt

1 comment:

  1. What a great recipe, that's something I can actually make. Thank you Kelsey

    ReplyDelete