Thursday, January 30, 2014





      “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
       -C.S. Lewis



       I don't really know what normal people get in their Christmas stockings, but I got a bottle of ground cardamon. The only gift that produced more joy was the Beyonce CD my sister gifted me (although, I have to say, not really feelin it as much as I thought I would...).  Let's just say the cardamon has seen more action recently than the Queen Bee. Haters can hate. Here are two of the recipes that have utilized this delicious spice. 

Chai Coconut Rice Pudding


     Sometimes you just want a lil tropical treat, amirite? Warm rice pudding is especially nice when it's cold and snowy. This rice pudding has a very similar cooking process to that of risotto. First, bring the water to a boil and add the rice and the butter. Once the water has been absorbed, bring the temperature to low and add the sugar and coconut milk. Cook for 30 minutes while constantly stirring until the rice is creamy and tender. Add the vanilla, salt, cardamon, cinnamon, and ginger. I added toasted coconut as a garnish. Serve hot or cold. I also added a splash of coconut rum to ours, but you do you.


Serene Green Chai Smoothie

    
    
     To make this smoothie, blend the applesauce with the banana, spinach, almond milk, honey, cinnamon, ginger, cardamon, a splash of vanilla, and an optional scoop of vanilla protein powder. Blend until smooth.

Recipes
Rice Pudding (adapted from the blog "The Sugar Hit")
 1 1/4 c water
3/4 c jasmine rice
1 tbsp butter
2 c coconut milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamon
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp vanilla 
pinch of salt

Smoothie
1/2 c applesauce
1/2 medium banana
2 c baby spinach
1/2 c vanilla unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional)
a pinch of the following: cardamon, cinnamon, powdered ginger







 

No comments:

Post a Comment