Thursday, February 6, 2014





     Snow showers bring Spring flowers

     I know what you're thinking: I can't believe that dirty, little groundhog predicted six more weeks of winter! Even though there would technically still be 7 weeks of winter left anyway, I'm sure many of you are crying. To this I say, grow a beard, put on a heavier sweater, and enjoy the passing of the seasons. You can do this by looking up videos of ballet skiing, pretending that you know how to ice skate like a champ, or by making snow bears to scare your dog with. Or, you could just make these shortbread cookies and snuggle up with your now angry dog.

Scottish Shortbread Cookies


     To make this dough, simply cream the butter and sugar together for a good 3-4 minutes. Add the vanilla and salt and mix well. Now introduce the flour, working it into the dough until all of it has been incorporated. I added about 1/3 c of chocolate chips to mine. I'll probably get angry Scottish mail. Surprised face.


    Roll out the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness and cut into rectangles in dimensions of your choice. Place the cookies on parchment or a nonstick mat and sprinkle them with sugar. Let these cookies chill for 20 minutes before baking them for 15-20 minutes. 


Once the cookies have cooled, you can serve them with tea, for dessert, or give them to a friend. I made mine for my boss's birthday...and then it snowed...and then I ate them all. Savagery. 

---

Recipe
(Adapted from the blog "Gourmet Photography") 
375 F 15-20 min
1 c plus 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 c sugar
4 4/5 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c chocolate chips
sugar for sprinkling


I made pretzels again for el Super Bowl. This time I made them into nugs and they were a smashing success. 





No comments:

Post a Comment