Monday, April 28, 2014




       A Very French Easter


     I have had the fortunate opportunity of celebrating Easter twice in Europe. The first time was in Florence with my sister and we prepared an Eastover dinner. We made ​​pork chops, clearly we do not understand Judaism. This year, I had planned a trip to the South of France for our Easter holiday break. While we were technically in Aix en Provence for Easter Sunday, my companion and I made ​​an Easter dinner last Thursday night in Nice.


(Photo credit: Nicole Martorana)

(Photo credit: Nicole Martorana)

(Photo credit: Nicole Martorana)

     It may have had something to do with the semi-stressful day we had had, but this pasta was so ridiculously good I impressed myself. The French butter also helped. Obviously.

     To make the pasta, we diced three large tomatoes and cooked them down with about 1 1/2 lbs worth of shrimp shells. To this, 1 cup of water was added and the mixture was left to simmer for about 20 minutes. Salt and pepper were added to taste. This mixture was then strained into a sauce pan and was returned to the heat. We mounted the sauce with a few heaping tablespoons of good quality butter and voila! The shrimp was added in the last few minutes to the sauce just to cook them through. We were in the apartment of hosts, but had I been home, I would certainly have included some fresh herbs, like parsley or basil. 

(Photo credit: Nicole Martorana)

     Then there was the bread ... I have had some issues baking here in Europe. By some I mean all. This bread, however, did okay. Again, I think the French butter is all-healing. It's basically like Windex. 

     The bread was not difficult to pull together. Once the milk and the butter are heated together, you can add the yeast, salt, and sugar to a mixing bowl. Whisk in the eggs. Add the warm butter mixture (ideally 110 F) and allow the yeast to get down for about ten minutes. Barely mix in half the flour until a dough starts to form. At this point I also added a tablespoon of grapefruit zest. Now add the rest of the flour and work the dough until it is no longer sticky. This took me about 4-6 minutes. Grease a bowl, add the dough, cover with a damp towel, and let it proof in a warm place. We let the bread proof for way too long (1-2 hours is fine), It kind of tasted like beer. No one hates it. 

     After the bread has proofed for the first time, you can divide the dough into three ropes and braid them. Clearly I did not have a childhood graced with glorious braids. All I can say is do your best to make sure you pinch the ends rather hard to keep them closed. Let the braid proof for another 30 minutes.  Brush the loaf with an egg wash and sprinkle with some white sugar. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until golden. Take that bad boy out and serve warm with butter. Calories do not count on holy days. I asked.

RECIPE
(Adapted from the blog "afra cooking")
350 F 20 min
1 1/4 milk
1/3 c butter
appr. 3 tsp of yeast
1/2 c sugar
3 1/2 c flour
1 egg (an additional egg for egg wash)
1 tbsp grapefruit zest
pinch of salt
sugar for sprinkling 




No comments:

Post a Comment