Saturday, April 12, 2014




     Fresco Living

    Sooo, being in grad school has made it a bit difficult to keep to my once a week promise. Traveling for school is also going to present some difficulties. It's all about quality over quantity, amirite? Speaking of, I've noticed that when the produce is supa fresh, you don't really need a lot of it and it rarely needs much doctoring. The masters classes got together recently to mix and mingle. I brought an orange and fennel salad that was dressed with a light vinaigrette and topped with mint and chili salt. 

     My roommate was hooked up with some killer salts so I'm trying them all out. The produce market I go to here always has a bunch of fresh picks and I normally just buy what looks best that day. Yesterday, the zucchini was looking rather tasty. I took a few home and decided to make some fry cakes. Here's a fun fact: the more vegetables you eat, the more you can fry things. If I'm lyin I'm dyin. I added some mozzarella to mine for a full meal but you could also serve them as a side.

Zucchini Cakes



     This recipe comes together very quickly after the zucchini has been grated. Zucchini can tend to be watery, so if you find that to be the case, squeeze the water out over a sieve. Add the drier zucchini to a bowl and drop in a few tablespoons of ricotta cheese. Add salt and pepper and a teaspoon of finely chopped rosemary. I kinda went too heavy on the rosemary this time around, so, if you're like me and tend to be heavy handed with herbs, remember that there is fine line between rosemary and Christmas spruce. Stir everything together and add 2-3 tablespoons of flour, depending on how wet your zucchini ended up being. Make patties that are about three inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. Fry in olive oil for about 5 minutes on both sides on a medium heat. 

     Recipe

3 small zucchini, grated
3 tbsp ricotta 
2-3 tbsp flour
1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
salt and pepper
oil for frying



No comments:

Post a Comment