Sunday, June 29, 2014






     Calabrian Heat and Ethnic Cravings

  Last week marked the second study trip of my university studies. We spent a week in Calabria viewing pasta, beer,and honey productions, to name a few. Even though I had an excellent time and loved being able to swim in the Mediterranean, my lasting memory of this place will always be that of heat. There has been such a dearth of spice in my neck of the woods that I almost forgot the taste sensation entirely. Fear not! Between hot peppers, sun burn, throbbing bug bites, and swollen bruises, I got the hot, hot heat back in my life. As a side note, being in the South made my desire for ethnic food even stronger, so I made falafel tonight. Recipe to follow.


Calabria



150 year old orange grove 


Mulberries!


Unfiltered honey


Dairy farm


Artichokes in bloom


Vineyard view


Licorice root


Just some donkeys, livin the dream


     Make-shift Falafel 


     To make these tasty lil pucks of joy, start by soaking your chick peas overnight. After they have soaked, add them to a blender or food processor. Saute the garlic and ginger in oil and add to the machine. Add the herbs and spices. Pulse everything together into a coarse mixture. Add in two tablespoons of water if the mixture is too loose. Pour the crumb into a bowl and add the onions and flour and mix by hand. Let this mixture chill for an hour to set up a bit before frying on a medium-low heat. Fry until well browned and season with salt immediately after frying.

     I served mine on multi-grain focaccia smeared with ricotta. After I added some carrots and cucumber, I was ready to smash my face into the plate. I ate both of these sandwiches and it was a mistake. A delicious mistake.

Recipe
Adapted from the blog Tomato Blues
1 c chick peas, soaked overnight 
1 small onion, finely diced
5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp ginger root, minced
1/2 c loosely packed parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp flour
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying


   

No comments:

Post a Comment