Tuesday, June 9, 2015




     Find me a find, catch me a catch...


     For a very long time, cupcakes infuriated me. Dry, overly costly and dainty, they bring shame to my favorite major food group, cake. When one of my first restaurant reviews was at a cupcake cafe, I gagged a little bit. This does not mean cupcakes can't be phenomenal, but more often than not they are sad creatures. So, imagine my surprise when I found great pleasure in creating a cupcake cake last week for a bridal shower. I made some mini ones with the leftover batter and I did not hate it. So haters gonna hatehatehatehatehate, but I'm supporting the cupcake in all of its cute glory.

   Funfetti Cupcakes with Special Frosting 

 ---

     
     Funfetti scares me a bit, but it's so dreamy I push those fears aside. The bride-to-be loves the flavor so I thought a homemade version would be lovely. To make the cupcakes, start with the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix together. Either with a stand or hand mixer on low, incorporate the cold butter pieces into the dry mix until it resembles coarse sand. Now add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go. Add the milk and vanilla and mix to combine. Now mix everything on medium until the batter is smooth, about two minutes. Lastly, fold in the sprinkles, making sure not to over mix. Bake for 15-20 minutes and cool in the pan for 10 minutes before you transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

     This icing is a black horse for sure. It's essentially a buttercream, but is stabilized with flour. To start, heat the milk, vanilla and flour on medium until the mixture forms into a batter-like paste, but do not let it gain color. Let this mixture cool. Meanwhile, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Now, add the cooled flour mixture and beat until the whole lot looks like whipped cream. Taste it to make sure all of the sugar has dissolved as well. Try to use the frosting the same day you make it. 


Recipe
(Adapted from Browned eyed Baker)
350 F 15-20 min/ 2 dozen cupcakes
CAKE
1¾ c cake flour
1¼ c all-purpose flour
1¾ c granulated sugar
2½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 c unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into ½-inch cubes
4 eggs
1 c whole milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ c rainbow sprinkles
FROSTING
(recipe from The Pioneer Women)
5 tbsp flour
1 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 c butter (2 sticks), room temperature 
1 c granulated white sugar (not powdered sugar)


No comments:

Post a Comment