Tuesday, August 6, 2013





     Bier, Cerveza, Piwo, Birra...Whatever you call it, beer is a universal gift, poured down from the heavens into our undeserving, peasant mouths. Almost every culture has a beer or can appreciate a neighbors brew. Beer at one point (I still think it is) was safer to drink than water. Beer, glorious beer! Oliver had it all wrong. During the summer, I've been drinking the old favorites but have also been exploring new territories. These are my most recent findings.

Blue Moon Summer Sample Pack



     Ahh, the classic. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of a proper introduction, the original is a smooth-drinking wheat ale. The most predominant flavor besides the wheat is orange. There is also a subtle spice note from coriander. Start your journey with this. 


     Agave has been such a super star lately. Blue Moon took this sweet nectar and combined it with their beer. The result is light, slightly sweet, and extremely palatable. If you do not like sweetness at all, this may not be the beer for you. Pair this with tacos, please.


     This pale ale was very well balanced with a lovely, malty flavor. The orange most notable in the original was present, but the hibiscus that is also an element was lost a little, in my opinion. I think these flavors would make an excellent pairing with grilled meats, especially those with smokey sauces. 


     I had such high hopes for this ale. Blended with blackberries, the pure essence of the fruit really does shine through. However, this beer was so sweet I had a hard time finishing it. This beer would, however, make an excellent beer to mix with other alcohols. I'm thinking a Guinness mixed in would make a great Black and Blue.


     Drum roll, please... the Short Straw Farmhouse Red Ale was my favorite of the bunch. With notable spiciness and a nice tartness that is typically associated with a red, this beer was a true winner. A cinderella story. 

Other Beers to Try!


     Magic Hat Cucumber Hibiscus. This beer was a little too wacky for my liking. The cucumber was very natural, making it at least a refreshing choice. Too strong on its own, I thought this beer would make a great Bloody Beer. Unfortunately, I never got to test this theory as said beer was kidnapped and still remains missing.


     Dogfish Head Festina Peche. I was greatly surprised by the flavor profile of this beer. The sourness was pleasantly balanced out with the slight acidity and sweetness from the peach. It almost reminded me more of a very dry cider. Drink very cold. Thanks for the pick, Chris!


     I've known about this beauty for a while. Magic Hat #9 is probably my favorite beer of the moment. This pale ale is perfectly paired with the subtle flavor of apricot. The sweetness is not overwhelming, leaving you with a totally delicious beer for the summer months. 

Slainte, Everyone!
















No comments:

Post a Comment