Friday, August 2, 2013





        I realize that my last post may have left some people in a panic, thinking my ice cream machine must have exploded, killing me in the blast. Not so! I went to Ocean City, MD with some good, family friends. Sorry I left, but tramps like us are born to run. As promised, this post is dedicated to the ice cream I made last week.

Peach Pie Ice Cream


Since I was feeling extra ambitious (read: fat), I decided to bake some shortbread and toss it into the mix. To do this, cream the sugar and the butter together. I added a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of cinnamon. Once this mixture is creamed, work in the flour. If this dough is a bit dry, work in a bit of cold water. I did.


Roll or press the dough out onto a non-stick baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool and store until use. This makes 3x more than you will need. Throw a Scottish party and make haggis to go with that bread.


Heat the milk, cream, cinnamon stick, and sugar on the stove. I added a teaspoon of vanilla to this. In the meantime, puree one peach with two tablespoons of brown sugar. 


Heat this mixture over medium heat until it thickens a good bit, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, add some of the hot milk mixture to your egg yolks to temper. Strain to remove any cooked egg. 


Add the peach puree and chill the mixture over an ice bath. Stir until it has completely cooled. Prepare the ice cream as suggested by your machine.


In the meantime, thinly slice two large peached and saute them with the honey for a few minute. Allow to cool. Add the peaches and broken up shortbread (appr. 1 cup) into the churning mixture in the last minute of the cycle. Freeze for at least two hours before serving. Again I got impatient, and dived in after one hour, resulting in this:


I retract that statement. This ice cream is melting because angels have cried tears of joy over it. Blessed be the dairy gods. One note for this recipe. I would have prefered a bit more sugar in my shortbread, but you have to do you. If you like sweeter things, add two more tablespoons of sugar to the dough. 


Recipes

Shortbread (adapted from "Strudel and Cream")
*These were all weight measurements with appr. volume conversions*
350 F for 20 minutes

2 1/3 c flour
1 c butter 
1/2 c sugar


Peach Ice Cream (adapted from "The Merry Gourmet")

1-1/2 c whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
Pinch of coarse salt
1 c heavy cream
1 cinnamon stick
5 large egg yolks
2 large peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/2 pieces
2 tablespoons honey


Go now in peace with this recipe and a picture of my dog with a sock on his left paw. It's white so he doesn't get self-conscious. Diva.











No comments:

Post a Comment