Wednesday, August 14, 2013




     I love when other people suggest making pie. It warms my little heart. Sometimes I feel like the public really isn't interested in pie anymore and then I realize that EVERYONE is interested in pie, but no one wants to make it. That's why I'm here. We can make pie blunders and success stories together. This pie uses up some of the last good strawberries and wonderful peaches.

Strawberry-PeacPie 



     Time to make some crusty crust. After tinkering with a few recipes, I think I've settled on the half butter half shortening method as my favorite. Cut cold butter and shortening into the flour, sugar, and salt. Once it's crumblin like a bumble, slowly pour in the cold water until you can form it into a ball. 


Roll your dough up into a ball and let it chill in the fridge, covered, for at least an hour. 


Now's a good time to get your wine-and-cheese self on. If it's too hot outside you can unrobe and pour the wine on your face. If these suggestions make you uncomfortable, I encourage you to try it before you knock it.


Flour your work surface and pin and get to work. Look at those hunks of radiant fat. Gently place the dough into your tin and cut off excess. I made a baby crostata with apricots and honey with my extra dough. No one hates it. While the tin is chillin in the fridge, slice your peaches and strawberries and add the flour, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Let this mixture stew in its own greatness for a bit before adding it to the tin.


I made a crumble topping for this pie. Combine the brown sugar, flour, salt, and butter until you get a moist crumb. Distribute evenly on top of the pie.


While you're waiting for the pie to bake and cool, you should probably eat some s'mores with friends. S'more are possible one of the most underrated food items in America's history. 


The finished pie. We ate ours with Halo Farm's vanilla ice cream. Thanks for the pint, Tara!



Recipe
(Crust and crumble adapted from "Pie" by Ken Haedrich)
375 F for 1 hour
1 1/2 c flour.
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c butter
1/4 c shortening
1/4 c cold water
4 large peaches, peeled and sliced
1 lb strawberries, quartered
1/2 sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1/3 c flour
Crumble:
1/2 c flour
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c butter 




Happy Krump day, everyone <3










3 comments: