Tuesday, October 1, 2013




"A gourd by any other name would taste as sweet, dear Bromeo."


I have been waiting for the official start of Autumn to jump into the apple/pun'kin category of living and have to say, although it's tasty, I'm still sweating my summer skin off. Gross. That being said, I did see a righteous recipe for pumpkin frozen yogurt that I think I'm going to preview soon. Let's just put something out in the open here. I have maybe, like, three pictures for this post. This is partially due to the fact that my visiting sister helped me make it and and I got caught up in us quoting Marcel the Shell. The other issue was I immediately dug into the bread with my hands, preparing for consumption, and totally ruined the shot. As is life.

Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf

Super easy recipe. Combine all of the dry ingredients together. I sifted these together into a bowl and added two tablespoons of cocoa powder. You don't have to sift, but I think a bit of magic makes its way into the bread if you do. Spooky.




Next, cream the butter with the sugar in another, larger bowl. The recipe called for oil but we had none. Sometimes you just have to trust in the almighty powers of butter. Amiright?

To this mixture, add the eggs, vanilla, water, and pumpkin puree. I have used Libby's my whole life and suspect it's the best. I have used Trader Joe's summinsummin once or twice with similar results.


Fold the dry into the wet just to combine and throw in a handful of chocolate chips for good measure. I must warn that I have rather little paws so don't get mad if the amount isn't up to snuff. Pour into a lined pan. Sprinkle some chips on top too. Why not? Fall is YOUR season, ladies, is it not?

Place your loaf in the oven and let it chill out for around an hour. I found that my loaf needed more time than that. Follow your nose, you lil toucans. 

Allow loaf to cool until the lil guy doesn't burn your hands off, should you happen to enjoy eating with your grubby hands, like myself.

Randog was so excited for the loaf he fell asleep during the process. 


Recipe
(Adapted from "The Art and Soul of Baking" by Cindy Mushet)
9x5 loaf pan--350 F--55-70 min
Dry:
2 c AP flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Wet:
2 large eggs, room temp
1/3 c water
1 c pumpkin puree
1/2 cup butter, softened 
1 tsp vanilla
1 c chocolate chips

No comments:

Post a Comment